Saturday, September 24, 2011

Kade Meyers Celebration Run 5k ~ literally from the Couch to this 5k!

There is a fitness/running program that helps you go from sitting on the couch to running a 5k called obviously "Couch to 5k" hey go check it out here. But this week I was sick! So sick that I would just move from the bed, get my youngest son out the door to meet the bus, watch to make sure he got on the bus and lay down on the couch for my morning nap! Which for a couple of days it would turn into an afternoon nap. AND then turn in around 8:30pm. It was a mess in my head that was horrible and pounding.

When I started to recover I recovered quickly, each day was so much better than the day before that I was beginning to think that could actually be able to keep with my challenge of doing a 5k every Saturday.

It was late last night that I decided that if I simply needed to 'do' a 5k to keep with my challenge then why not go to the race and simply just 'do' a 5k vs going to the Y and doing a 5k there. I didn't need to over do this 5k, I just need to finish it!



So I got my things ready .....



Pinned my bib on

(which had my chip attached, a first for me!)



and got my old wogging shoes.



They are the most comfortable,



it was like taking my favorite blanket with me!



Got my arm band for my phone ready and went to bed.






I got there early



Got a stranger in the parking lot to take my 'before' picture.


Oh and wait, let chat about the shirt.


When I went to get my race packet and shirt, they handed me my shirt.


as I walked to the car I was checking the shirt out and immediately thought, "Oh, this is WAY too small, I'll have to pass it down to my youngest son" tossed it in the seat and drove home.


When I got home it was laying across the back of a chair, so I paused to look at it again and decided to slip it on. I'm a fool for trying on the impossibly small things then finding that I can't get back out of them. Oh, don't laugh you've done it too!


But when I slipped this on, it FIT! perfectly!



Something else I realized was that I've always hated to wear crew neck anything, they just choked me ... well, that was because my neck was too fat! a couple of weeks ago I realized that crew necks were just fine. Isn't it funny how and where our bodies store FAT!??



Ok back to the race ... sorry got side tracked there.




this was family oriented event,


it was the Kade Meyer Celebration run


Kade Meyer was a little boy (2nd grade) that was tragically killed last September when he ran out in front of car. He was just getting out of school, walking to his Dad's office (asst HS principal) when he was stuck and killed. Even though this was not our school district (it is the one just north of us) we, as mother's knew the pain. Boy we were a basket case of emotion this week.


They are doing scholarships for Kade's memorial through the year he would have graduated. The receiptant must emcompass compassion, because in 1st grade Kade had earned the Compassion Award for his class.


"If you want others to be Happy,


Practice Compassion,


If you want to be Happy,


Practice Compassion"


(see emotional, huh?)
Oh and look I had friends there, too!


this is my workout partner from this summer and her son.


as well as others that we couldn't always find


(there were 1000 participants in the 1st annual, Yay!)


and another Personal Record for me!


so it was really a Couch to 5k for me this week...


chip time was 38.22.7


that's 23 seconds off last week's time


hey, I'm old, I'll take every second I can shave off!

No comments:

Post a Comment